Packard® Motor Car Foundation
Providing for the Future
The National Register of Historic Places
We are very pleased to confirm that The Packard Proving Grounds Historic Site was officially added to the prestigious National Register of Historic Places at a September 20, 2007 dedication ceremony held at the Proving Grounds. In addition to Foundation officers, over 100 guests were in attendance, including members of the community, state and local governmental officials, Packard Club members and local volunteers who have worked so hard over the past several years to restore this site to a useful purpose once more.
This honor adds the Historic Site to the select list of historic American treasures that deserve careful preservation in order to protect our Country’s heritage. The officers of the Packard Motor Car Foundation are pleased to accept this honor for the site and pledge our continued support to administer the further restoration and development of it.
The bronze plaque was unveiled at the ceremony, attended by Foundation Trustees John MacArthur and Richard Kughn.
The ceremony was held in the Court yard. Former Packard photographer Bob Grenier and former Packard test-driver Carl Altz
added a nice historical connection to the day's activities.
Many Packards were on hand to celebrate the day. Foundation President, John MacArthur brought his 1910 NB touring car and
Richard Kughn brought his 1941 One-Twenty station wagon, 1942 Darrin, and 1938 Twelve town car.
Ralph Maccarone, Shelby Township Supervisor and Janine Saputo of the Historic District Commission were speakers at the historic
event. Both have been strong supporters and were instrumental in the granting of the award.
The newly-painted buildings looked beautiful with Packards like Craig Handley's 1953 convertible on display. Many long-time
supporters of the Proving Grounds were in attendance; seen here are Marvin King and Eleanor Paton.
Craig Handley, who took all of the photos on this page, returned to the Proving Grounds after the bronze plaque was attached to the right-hand pillar of the Grand Entrance gates, and took the well-framed photo above. Click on the small image to open a page with a full-size version of the photo. Use your browser back button to return to this page.
Return to Home Page